Monday, February 6, 2012

the story of the needle case

original needle keeper
my new version

shown open

About 25 years ago, I was a sweater designer visiting the Orient a few times a year to work with factories. Most of the time, I was in Hong Kong, and most often I was in some bland office working, but every so often, we would get a chance to get out and explore the city.  I don't actually remember where I acquired the case, it may have been on an out of the way street market, or it could have been in a fancy antique store in the vast shopping malls.  But I do remember that I had never seen anything like it.  It was not expensive, it may not even be silver.  But, it is beautiful.
I wear the needle keeper from time to time.  It is always noticed, always a conversation starter.  It has been the inspiration for many of my own creations, like the tiny secret keeper necklaces.  I finally decided to make a more literal version of the necklace.  My own design is constructed just like the original, though slightly smaller.  It also has a skinny leather cord.  I used my own floral textures for the design and added applique silver flowers.  It is of course fine silver.
The first time I wore it it was noticed.  It's been purchased and is gone.....until I make another incarnation.

1 comment:

Wanaree said...

Great piece Rachael! I can see why you found the original so inspiring, but your version is fantastic!